Help Topics

These are some commonly asked questions about the Affordable Connectivity Program for community organizations and trusted institutions working to help households navigate the Affordable Connectivity Program. 

ACP Overview FAQs

What is the Affordable Connectivity Program?

The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) helps families connect to the Internet from home by providing a monthly benefit to help pay for an internet service plan. The ACP is a long-term $14.2 billion program of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), funded by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. The ACP began December 31, 2021, replacing the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) (a temporary program tied to the pandemic).

What does the benefit provide?

A discount of up to $30 a month for broadband service ($75 for households on Tribal lands), as well as a one-time discount of $100, with a co-payment of more than $10 but less than $50, toward the purchase of a connected device (laptop, desktop or tablet) through a participating provider.

Can a household receive more than one discount?

Can a household receive more than one discount? The Affordable Connectivity Program is limited to one monthly service discount and a one-time connected device discount per eligible household.

How is a household defined?

A household is a group of people, even if they are not related, who live together and share money (income and expenses). If the individuals live together but do not share money, they are considered as more than one household. 

If you are unsure about your number of households, use the Household Worksheet: English, Spanish, Instructions.

How long does the program last?

The ACP will continue until funds run out. There are currently enough funds to support the program for an estimated five years from when the program began in December 2021 (this estimate is prior to the add of additional funding). The ACP is therefore considered a long-term benefit.

ACP Enrollment Process FAQs

How does a household enroll?

There are three options to enroll:

1.  Online at (National Verifier)

2.  Mail in an application (English or Spanish) and return it along with proof of eligibility to: USAC, ACP Support Center, P.O. Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre PA 18773

3.  Contact a participating broadband provider directly to learn about their application process. For a full list of participating providers see:

(Note only certain providers have been approved by the FCC to use an alternate application process and to enroll households directly, so most will need to apply via the National Verifier).

How do I help someone enroll or become an ACP Enrollment Specialist?

Visit EducationSuperHighway’s interactive ACP certification course, LearnACP, an online, self-paced ACP training course that provides: 

  1. Broadband Affordability Gap background, 
  2. An overview of the ACP, 
  3. A step-by-step guide to the ACP Application, 
  4. Tips on how to assist special populations, such as undocumented or unhoused populations, 
  5. Enrollment with the internet service provider, and associated tools and resources and knowledge checks throughout. 

The participant receives an ACP certification when they complete the course.

ACP Qualification & Eligibility FAQs

How does a household qualify?

A member of a household only has to meet one of the criteria, such as income at 200% of the federal poverty level, or at least one member of the household participates in a government assistance program, such as Medicaid or SNAP, or through a dependent who is on free and reduced lunch or who attends a school that participates in the Community Eligibility Provision. For more information see ACP Eligibility Qualifications and visit to learn how you qualify and what documents you need to apply.

What is the full list of ACP qualifications?

Participation in Lifeline 

Income Eligibility

  • 200% of the federal poverty guidelines

Participation in one of the following government assistance programs:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance 
  • Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
  • Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Participation in Free and Reduced Price School Meal program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)

Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current academic year

Tribal specific programs: 

  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
  • Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families 
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations

What is the breakdown of a household income at 200% of the federal poverty level?

200% of the 2023 federal poverty level for all states except Alaska and Hawaii:

  • Family of 1: $29,160
  • Family of 2: $39,440
  • Family of 3: $49,720
  • Family of 4: $60,000
  • Family of 5: $70,280

Source: ASPE. See here for Alaska and Hawaii, or here for 5+ households. 

What documents do households need to show eligibility when applying for the ACP?

The household may have to provide documents to demonstrate eligibility depending on the criterion they choose during the application process. Acceptable documents to show income include: 

  • Prior year's state, federal, or Tribal tax return
  • Current income statement from your employer or three consecutive paystubs
  • A Social Security statement of benefits
  • Veterans Administration statement of benefits
  • Unemployment or Worker's Compensation statement of benefits
  • Divorce decree, child support award, or a similar official document showing your income
  • A retirement/pension statement of benefits

Acceptable documents to show participation in a qualifying government program include: 

  • Benefit award letter
  • Approval letter
  • Statement of benefits
  • Benefit verification letter

Visit to learn how you qualify and what documents you need to apply.

What documentation does a household need to show eligibility when applying on behalf of a child or dependent?

If the household is qualifying through a child or dependent, for example - if the student participates in the free or reduced lunch or breakfast program, or if their school participates in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP), the family will need to provide documentation showing the student’s enrollment in the qualifying year.


The official school document will need to include the student’s full name, student’s date of birth, school name, school address, school contact information (email and/or telephone), and current school year. Districts may want to prepare a letter for families confirming their student’s enrollment or participation in a qualifying program. Note that if using a report card it must have all of the above information, as well.


For more information on these requirements, as well as other best practices for K-12 school districts supporting ACP enrollment, see EducationSuperHighway’s ACP Adoption Toolkit for Schools

For people who are paid in cash and may not have clear wage documentation, is there an option for a self-declaration of their income?

It depends. If an applicant is paid in cash but has an ITIN, they can use that to verify their identity. Otherwise, the best route to take would be to qualify under one of the other criteria. For instance, if the participant is enrolled in one of the federal programs (i.e. SNAP or Medicaid), we recommend the applicant qualify using that. Another option would be to apply through someone else in the household who qualifies, such as a student who attends a CEP school.

Are undocumented individuals eligible for federal public benefit programs like ACP?

Generally, undocumented individuals (including DACA holders), are not eligible to receive federal public benefits. However, ACP does not take into account one’s immigration status, meaning undocumented individuals can receive this benefit.


Undocumented individuals may be eligible for a handful of benefits that are deemed necessary to protect life or guarantee safety in dire situations, such as healthcare and nutrition programs under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). If an undocumented individual receives WIC, for example, they can use that as proof of eligibility. 

Source 1, Source 2

Are individuals who immigrated legally eligible for federal public benefit programs like ACP?

Only individuals with lawful permanent resident (LPR) status may apply for federal benefit programs, but not until they have resided as a legal resident for five years, also known as the “five-year bar”. Certain categories of immigrants- specifically Cuban/Haitian/and certain Amerasian immigrants, refugees, people granted asylum or withholding of deportation/removal, and victims of human trafficking or domestic violence- are exempt from the five-year bar and have the same eligibility requirements for federal benefits as LPRs. Individuals on non-immigrant and temporary visa holders are ineligible for benefits. However, ACP does not abide by the five-year bar; if you qualify, you may apply. (source 1, source 2)

Can “mixed-status families” i.e. undocumented individuals with citizen/underage children apply for ACP?

All American citizen children, regardless of their parents citizenship status, can receive federal benefits if they meet eligibility requirements without penalty. However, the child’s eligibility does not change their parents’ or any other family members’ (in)eligibility for that benefit. If a mixed-status family only has underage children, the application will still have to be completed by the parent. (source)

How can undocumented individuals qualify for ACP through their dependents?

If the applicant has an underage child, regardless of immigration status of that child, enrolled in Free or Reduced Lunch or attends a CEP (Community Eligibility Provision) school, the household may qualify through that child.

If the applicant has an adult dependent who is a U.S. citizen, the dependent must qualify through the same eligibility requirements of ACP. Remind applicants that, if the dependent receives a Federal Pell Grant, this would qualify their dependent for the ACP. Unfortunately, undocumented dependents above the age of 18 face the same barriers as the original applicant.

ACP Qualification & Eligibility FAQs for Schools

Is a Student ID an acceptable form of identification for a dependent?

Yes, as long is it includes the following information:

  • student’s full name ​
  • student's birthdate 
  • name of the school 
  • address of the school
  • school logo
  • contact information


A photo of the student is not required on the ID, and while a unique student identification number is also not required, it is a best practice to include one to demonstrate authenticity.

What if a household that qualifies based on a child or dependent's enrollment in a CEP school moves to another school district?

The household will need to reapply if the way they were eligible was through a child or dependent. If the child or dependent is still attending a CEP school or is eligible for the free and reduced-price meal program at another school, then they will need to reapply and show their child or dependent is receiving that benefit at the new school.

What if the qualifying child or dependent graduates?

The household will need to reapply if the way they were eligible was through a child or dependent. If they have another child or dependent who attends a CEP school or participates in the free and reduced meal program, the household can apply with this child or dependent’s information.


If the child or dependent is attending a post-secondary school (college or university) and receives a Pell Grant, then they may use their award letter to continue to receive the benefit.

If a household has more than one child/dependent enrolled in a CEP school district or that is receiving Free and Reduced Price Meals, which child/dependent should the household provide information for on the application?

The household should apply using the information of their youngest school-aged child / dependent as this will ensure they are eligible through the free and reduced meal program or the CEP for the longest period of time.

ACP Identification FAQs

What documents do households need to show identity when applying for the ACP?

Households may need to have some sort of documentation - the last four digits of a Social Security number is generally easiest and fastest but other forms of identity such as a driver’s license are fine.

If they decide to qualify through their student or dependent, the applicant will also need to provide identification for their student/dependent, such as the last four digits of their Social Security number. Examples of documents are below. For more information, see here.

  • A valid government, military, state, or Tribal ID
  • Birth certificate
  • U.S. Driver’s License (can be foreign)
  • Passport (can be foreign)
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
  • Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
  • Matricula (Consular ID)
  • Student ID
  • Government assistance program document
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) document (does not need to include the date of birth)

Households can visit to learn how they qualify and what documents they will need to apply.

Can an applicant use a foreign form of identification?

The USAC website does not specify that the identification documents must be from the US. Through EducationSuperHighway’s enrollment support, we have seen that foreign passports and IDs are eligible, but they must be current and up-to-date. Specifically, applicants may use their consular ID or foreign passport number in the application. (source)

What documents can an applicant who is undocumented use to verify their identity when applying for ACP?

The various documents that can fulfill the ACP’s identity verification requirement for applicants who are undocumented are: Driver’s License, Passport, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), Visa, Consular ID, or other Government ID.

  • Driver’s License: 18 states and Washington D.C. do not require proof of citizenship to hold a driver’s license. (source)
  • Passport (Up-to-date foreign passports and IDs)
  • Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) 

Other U.S. Government ID: For applicants who cannot drive, they may have a state or municipal ID if offered in their area.

What if the applicant, who is undocumented, wishes to qualify for the ACP through their dependent who is a U.S. citizen?

To qualify through an underage (below 18) dependent:

  • An adult will still need to complete the application and verify their own identity. They can then use the last 4 digits of the dependent’s SSN, birth certificate, driver’s license, student ID, or other form of ID to verify the child’s identity.

To qualify through an adult (18 and above) dependent:

  • The dependent can apply for the ACP themselves and use their benefit for their family’s plan.

What if the applicant, who is undocumented, wishes to qualify for the ACP through their dependent who is also undocumented?

To qualify through an underage (below 18) dependent:

  • An adult will still need to complete the application. If the adult successfully verifies their identity, they will then need to verify the identity of their dependent. As the dependent does not have a SSN, we have found that the applicant may use a school ID to verify their dependent’s identity.

Undocumented dependents above the age of 18 face the same barriers as the applicant and may use the other troubleshooting steps if they wish to apply.

How should an applicant write their name if they have an accent mark on their form of identification?

Accents, cedillas, or other diacritics should not be included when applying to the ACP. This can create an error message in the system.

What should an applicant do if they did not use the name on their form of identification on their ACP application?

If an applicant’s name on their application does not match the name on their form of identification (such as only listing one last name, using a nickname, or not including your middle name or second last name), they may continue to be rejected by the FCC. We recommend that the applicant use a different email address and redo their application with their full name.

ACP Internet Provider FAQs

What are the ACP-eligible service plans with each internet company?

Eligible households are able to sign up for any internet service plan provided by a participating Internet service provider, including those that they may already be participating in. Households can search for participating providers using the FCC search tool.

To find providers and plans that serve the household’s address, they can visit

What are some of the consumer protections in the ACP?

Credit checks are prohibited as a condition of household participation in a service plan. Service providers are also prohibited from up or down-selling customers on any plans. They also cannot conduct a credit check or make consumers sign a contract. (source)

What if the household has unpaid bills with the internet service provider?

Eligible households cannot be excluded based on prior debt with a participating provider. However, if families have non-payment for 90 days (from the bills’ due date(s) after enrolling and participating in ACP), the family can be de-enrolled as long as the Internet service provider gives notice after 30 and 60 days. Re-enrollment with the same service provider after de-enrollment is up to the service provider. (source)

Can the ACP be applied towards services other than Internet service?

No. It cannot be applied to cable, data overage charges, or other non-Internet products or equipment. However, the ACP can be applied to a bundled plan that includes for example, cable and phone. In this situation the ACP benefit would be applied to the internet portion of the plan.

Can the household change internet service providers?

Consumers can change to a different participating provider at any time. They are not locked into the company that they first enrolled with. However, the device discount can only be used once per eligible household, even if the household changes providers. (source)

Can the ACP benefit be applied to existing internet accounts?

Yes! As the ACP can be applied to any plan, the consumer can choose whichever plan they wish to apply the benefit. If they qualify for the ACP, they complete the online application, receive approval, and then contact their existing provider to apply their ACP benefit.

How long does it take for the ACP benefit to show up on a household's internet bill?

In many instances the ACP benefit will be applied to the household’s first or next bill, especially if they connect with the ISP before the 15th of the month. However, it’s important to note that it can take as long as 90 days for the benefit to be reflected on the bill and every internet provider is different. It is recommended that during the initial conversation with the internet provider, the applicant clarifies when they will see the benefit applied.

What if the internet account is not in the caller’s name (they use another household’s internet, or it’s in a roommate or partner’s name)?

The name of the person receiving the ACP benefit must be listed on the internet service account in order to take advantage of the benefit.


If the applicant would like to apply their benefit to an existing service and they are not currently listed on the internet account, determine whether the account holder could instead apply for the household’s ACP benefit. If this is not an option, advise the applicant to contact the internet provider, preferably before beginning the ACP application, to be added to the existing account.

Troubleshooting Enrollment Roadblocks

If an applicant doesn’t make it all the way through the application, can they pick-up where they left off later?

Yes. Once an account is created (the applicant creates a username and password), the applicant can save the application and then log back into their account. We recommend using the Enrollment Assistance Handbill so the applicant can write down their login information to have handy later.

What if an applicant receives a message that an account has already been created under that name / account or username?

The username may have already been used by another applicant and this does not necessarily mean that someone has applied in their name. Have the applicant try to create a different username.

What about highly mobile or unhoused households?

In their application, houseless or highly-mobile individuals can use the address of a shelter or enter 123 Homeless.


The National Verifier will likely need to confirm their location. Applicants may be prompted to fill out USAC’s Household Worksheet and upload the worksheet with their application, or confirm their address by inputting their address latitude and longitude in the National Verifier.


Houseless or highly mobile individuals can choose to find a plan that supports mobile internet. With, applicants can find and choose ACP providers that support “Mobile Internet” plans.


The Lifeline program is another option available to support houseless and highly-mobile individuals who need mobile internet options. Individuals can receive both the Lifeline and ACP benefits at the same time as well as choose to apply the benefits  with the same company or different companies. 

What if I connect with someone who is struggling with technology literacy issues?

Ask if there is a family member or someone else available that can help them walk through the process together. If possible, assist the applicant with their enrollment in-person. Another option is to provide a paper application (English, Spanish) to the applicant which they can complete and mail along with supporting documentation to:


ACP Support Center
P.O. Box 9100, 
Wilkes-Barre PA 18773

What if I contact a household member who does not have an email to use during enrollment?

Ask if another family member has an email account that can be used. If this is not possible, ask for follow-up information and we can both provide this how-to but also walk them through setting up an email account.

What if I am helping someone enroll and I see a system error that the state I am in is not eligible for ACP?

This system error occurs in certain states, such as California. Try to refresh the server, or click out of the tab to start over.

ACP Fees and Benefit

Will the household be charged any fees?

Taxes and fees are part of the amount charged to a consumer so they are included in the ACP reimbursement, instead of consumers receiving small bills for taxes and fees alone. Therefore, the household should be sure to clarify if there will be any remaining portion they are responsible for, if the cost is hovering around the $30 price point (or $75 for the Enhanced Tribal Benefit). If the family chooses an internet service plan that is more than their ACP monthly benefit of $30 (they will be responsible for the difference). For example, if the service plan is $60 per month, the ACP will cover $30 (for non-Tribal benefit applicants), and the consumer would be responsible for the rest.

What are some of the consumer protections in the ACP?

Credit checks are prohibited as a condition of household participation in a service plan. Service providers are also prohibited from up or down-selling customers on any plans. They also cannot conduct a credit check or make them sign a contract. (source)

Will the family receive the money directly?

No - the benefit is not a direct-to-consumer benefit. It is a discount off the monthly service bill and/or device. The internet service provider will receive reimbursement directly from the FCC program.

Additional Support for Households

Who does a household contact for help?

If families have any questions or need assistance, they can contact the ACP Support Center of the Universal Service Administrative Co, who administers the ACP on behalf of the FCC via:

  • Email:               
  • Phone: (877) 384-2575, seven days a week, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET

Additionally they can learn more and access a live chat at

Where can a household find more information?

Other Common ACP Questions

How do you maintain your ACP benefit if your household address changes?

If a household moves and obtains a new address, they do not need to reapply for the ACP benefit. You can update this information in your National Verifier account. You can still use your account number to update your ISP or move to a new ISP.

Can applying for ACP jeopardize my ability to obtain a green card or sponsor a family member under the public charge test?

No. Applying for ACP or receiving ACP benefits  will not jeopardize anyone’s ability to obtain a green card or sponsor a family member under the public charge test, as it is not considered in the test. (source)

How should individuals experiencing houselessness list their address in their ACP application?

The FCC recognizes that more than one economic household can reside at the same address, such as shelters for unhoused individuals. Unhoused individuals may therefore enroll using the address of the shelter they reside (source). They may need to submit a household worksheet to specify that they do not share income with someone already enrolled in ACP within the shelter.

From a phone call on 4/19 with the ACP Support Line, we were also informed unhoused individuals may list ‘123 Homeless’ as their address on the enrollment form.

Can an individual enroll in Lifeline and receive the ACP benefit?

Yes! In fact, qualifying for Lifeline makes you automatically eligible for the ACP. You can use both benefits with the same service provider, or use the benefits with different service providers.(source)

Toolkit School District _CTA Featured Block


Raise Awareness of the ACP Benefit