Category 1 Narrative Examples
The way your Form 470 narrative is written depends on if you are attaching an RFP. It is also important to know if you are required to write an RFP based on the services you are requesting.
Yes, I am attaching an RFP
Since you are writing an RFP, your Form 470 narrative does not need to be detailed. A simple sentence such as “See RFP for details.” is sufficient. Get started structuring your RFP using our high-quality templates
No, I am not attaching an RFP
In the absence of an RFP, a well written Form 470 narrative is incredibly important. Below is some high-quality template language for your narrative if you are seeking leased lit fiber Internet access or WAN connections. As every district is different it is impossible to build a template that is “one size fits all”, so remember to adapt these to meet your own local needs and regulations or contact us for template language specific to your scenario.
Category 1 Form 470 Guidance
There are a number of critical sections in the Form 470. Completing these sections in a way that gets you the best possible future outcome can make a significant difference in the value of your broadband investment.
Service Request Section & Input Guidance
Ensure you select the appropriate function for the service your school district is seeking. A definition of these services has been provided.
- Leased Lit Fiber (with or without Internet Access)
- Point to point transport connection delivered over leased lit fiber
- Internet access service delivered over leased lit fiber
- Use your narrative to specify whether the request is for Internet access or point to point transport.
- Internet Access & Transport Bundled (Non-Fiber)
- Internet access service delivered over copper, wireless, or any type of non-fiber circuit
- DO NOT use this for a fiber based Internet connection
- Transport Only – No ISP Service Included (Non-Fiber)
- Point to point transport connection delivered over copper, wireless, or any type of non-fiber circuit
- DO NOT use this for any type of fiber circuit
- Internet Access: ISP Service Only (No Transport Circuit Included)
- Internet access service with no transport circuit
- Leased Dark Fiber and Leased Lit Fiber
- Use this for either a traditional dark fiber lease or an IRU
- Automatically includes leased lit fiber request per competitive bidding rules
- Self-Provisioned Network (Applicant Owned and Operated Network) and Services Provided Over Third-Party Networks
- Automatically includes additional request for services required by competitive bidding rules
- Network Equipment
- Use this function to request Category 1 eligible network equipment necessary to place leased dark fiber or self-provisioning into service.
- Maintenance & Operations
- Maintenance and operations services for leased dark fiber or a self-provisioned network
This field is used to enter the physical quantity of the service you are requesting. In most cases it will be the quantity of circuits, except for the following services:
- Internet Access: ISP Service Only (No Transport Circuit Included)- not applicable since there is no physical circuit with this service
- Leased Dark Fiber – quantity of fiber strands
- Self-Provisioned Networks – quantity of fiber strands
- Network Equipment – number of sites you need network equipment for
- Maintenance & Operations – number of circuits you need this service for
Enter the minimum bandwidth you require for this request. If you are unsure, a good guideline to use as a minimum is the 2014 FCC bandwidth goal.
Note: This field is not applicable for Leased Dark Fiber or Self-Provisioned service types. However, It is required for Network Equipment and Maintenance & Operations. In these cases, select the speed you are intending to light the fiber at on day one.
Enter the maximum bandwidth you will require within the life of the contract. If you are unsure, a good guideline to use as a maximum is the 2018 FCC bandwidth goal. EducationSuperHighway recommends you select a range of bandwidth speeds that will allow you to upgrade as district bandwidth demand grows.
Note: This field is not applicable for Leased Dark Fiber or Self-Provisioned service types. However, It is required for Network Equipment and Maintenance & Operations. In the case of Network Equipment, think about the expected life of the equipment and select a higher speed you would expect to upgrade to during this life cycle. For Maintenance & Operations, select the maximum speed you expect to have these connections operating at during the life of the service contract.
Number of entities served?
- Enter the total number of schools and/or buildings that will be served by the services requested.
Are you seeking Installation, Activation, and Initial Configuration for this service?
To ensure you can evaluate all costs equitably across any submitted bids, we recommend you select ‘Yes.’
Installment Payment Plan & Input Guidance
Are you seeking an installment payment plan for the non-discounted portion of any special construction charges with the request(s) listed above?
If you expect special construction charges associated with a service request, it is recommended you select ‘Yes.’
If you select ‘No’ then you will not have to complete the next two questions.
Read more about the payment plan option here.
Over how many years do you wish to amortize the costs?
Using the two dropdown boxes, specify the range of years you would like for a payment plan. The first box is for the minimum and the second is for the maximum.
Do you prefer annual or monthly payments?
Select ‘Annual’ if you would prefer the payments to be in equal amounts billed once per year. Select ‘Monthly’ if you would prefer equal payments to be billed every month.