Effective date: January 3, 2014
Last updated date: August 6, 2014
Data Usage Policy
EducationSuperHighway gathers and reports data on school and library network capacity and costs. It is one part of our overall strategy to analyze price, speed, and market availability data so that we can help ensure that schools and libraries are able to access the right amount of bandwidth at the right price.
EducationSuperHighway takes seriously our responsibility to prevent any misuse of data. We believe that part of this responsibility is to communicate the following specific policies for use of the data we collect:
- EducationSuperHighway will use detailed data to develop analyses, reports, presentations, and policy papers available to the general public. Data will be aggregated by geography (e.g., regional, state) as well as other characteristics (e.g., socioeconomic composition) and presented with grouped statistics. Where individual district data points are used to illustrate a specific point, they will always be presented in an anonymized fashion unless a district has specifically opted-in to allow us to use its name.
- We will share detailed data with governmental organizations such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), U.S. Department of Education (DOE), and state education agencies and their intermediate units upon request and within their respective jurisdictions.
- School districts and libraries will have access to aggregate national and regional data and anonymized data within their geographic areas. They will not be given identifying data for specific users without the explicit permission of participating users.
- Research partners may have access to specific non-public parts of our collected data for the purposes of pursuing a specific research goal that advances the EducationSuperHighway mission. Any data shared with a non-governmental agency will be governed by an agreement limiting its use to the specified research project.
- Commercial entities will not have access to any data beyond what is released by EducationSuperHighway to the general public, other than when we partner with them for research purposes as described above. We will not sell data to any entity.
Any data collected through EducationSuperHighway products and services will empower the FCC, DOE, state agencies, districts, and libraries with the information they need to increase the availability of service and lower the price of broadband for schools and libraries.
Should you have any feedback about our data usage policy, we’d like to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- use, and
information we obtain through ESH products and services.
“ESH Product and Services” includes Item21portal.org, Reporting.educationsuperhighway.org, schoolspeedtest.org, and any related products, mobile applications or Internet services under ESH’s control, whether partial or otherwise, in connection with providing such services. The Item21portal.org provides an online platform to enter E-rate Form 471, Item 21 information. The reporting.educationsuperhighway.org portal provides reporting based on the Item 21 and E-rate form 471 data. The Speed Test Service provides an online platform to test broadband networks in public schools in the United States.
“PAI” is short for Personal and/or Applicant Information and means information that alone or in combination with other information may be used to readily identify, contact, or locate you or other members of your organization, such as: name, address, email address, or phone number. We do not consider PAI to include information that has been aggregated or anonymized so that it does not allow a third party to easily identify a specific individual or applicant.
OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
We may collect personal and/or applicant information when:
- you provide it to us; or
- we obtain it from public sources.
We also collect user information, such as anonymous information about your usage statistics, when you use ESH products and services.
Registration and Account Information. You must register to use ESH products and services. To register, you may need to provide PAI, such as your name, email address, and password. You may also need to provide information about your school district and E-rate participation which are not PAI and are covered separately by our Data Usage Policy.
Using ESH Products and Services. We collect information, including PAI, that you provide to us when you use ESH products and services or submit an inquiry to us. We may also collect PAI about school officials from public sources, such as from the U.S. Department of Education. This PAI may include your log-in information, name, school address, and school contact information.
Cookies, Automatic Data Collection, and Related Technologies. ESH products and services collect and store information that is generated automatically as you use it, including your preferences and anonymous usage statistics.
When you visit web sites and services provided by ESH, we and our third-party service providers may receive and record information in our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, and from cookies and similar technology. Cookies are small text files placed in visitors’ computer browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you do that, ESH products and services may not work properly.
By using ESH products and services, you are authorizing us to gather, parse, and retain data related to the provision of ESH products and services.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information to communicate with you.
We do not rent, sell, or share PAI with nonaffiliated companies or vendors for direct marketing purposes, unless you have given us explicit permission.
We may use aggregated information that does not identify you specifically for any purpose, including for reporting and public information purposes.
Internal and Service-Related Usage. We use information, including PAI, for internal and service-related purposes only and may provide it to authorized third parties to allow us to facilitate ESH products and services. We may use and retain any data we collect to provide and improve our services.
Communications. We may contact you using the information you provided to us or that we have obtained from public sources for informational, communication, and operational purposes.
Marketing. We do not rent, sell, or share PAI about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies for direct marketing purposes unless you have given us explicit permission. We may communicate with you to provide you with information we think may be of interest to you related to our nonprofit mission.
Aggregate Data. As described in our Data Policy, we may anonymize and aggregate data collected through ESH products and services and use it for any purpose. For example, we may use and aggregate anonymous data to build reports that we distribute to school districts, state departments of education, and other similar organizations. Such reports could include aggregated or anonymized prices paid for E-rate supported services and products.
WE MAY DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your information:
- with our third-party service providers,
- to comply with legal obligations, and
- with your permission.
As Required By Law and Similar Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose your PAI, other account information, and content if we believe doing so is required by law or if those actions are reasonably necessary to:
- comply with legal process, such as a court order or subpoena;
- respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties;
- respond to your requests for customer service;
- respond to law enforcement;
- investigate and prevent unauthorized transactions or other illegal activities; or
- protect our or others’ rights, property, or personal safety.
We may also disclose your PAI with your permission.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION OR POSE A QUESTION OR SUGGESTION
101 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94111